What is arthritis?
Arthritis is a word used to describe an informal way of referring to a joint disease or joint pain. There are approximately 100 types of arthritis and people of all ages, races and sex can have arthritis. According to a recent study, arthritis is a leading cause of disability in the world. More than 300,000 children and 50 million adults have arthritis. The chances of arthritis occur more frequently as people get older. Common types of arthritis include pain, swelling and decreased the range of motion. The symptoms may stay about same for years or may get worse over time. Arthritis may also cause permanent joint changes and may be available with a naked eye or may be seen only through X-ray. Some types of arthritis also affect eyes, lungs, heart, joints as well as skin.
Common types of arthritis
- Degenerative arthritis – It is the most common type of arthritis. When the cartilage wears away, bones starts rubbing with each other and cause swelling, stiffness and pain. Risk factors include family history, excess weight, and age.
- Inflammatory arthritis– A healthy immune system helps us to keep diseases at bay. But, when the immune system becomes weaker then it may lead to internal organs damage as well as joint pain.
- Metabolic arthritis- Uric acid is the main reason of metabolic arthritis. When the body produces a high level of uric acid and forms needle-like crystals, it results in extreme joint pain. It can cause ongoing pain and disability.
- Infectious arthritis– This type of arthritis is caused by a bacteria, fungus or a virus that enters in the joint and cause inflammation. However, it is cleared by antibiotics but in some cases it also becomes chronic.
Symptoms of arthritis
- Stiffness which may be worse in morning
- Inability to walk or use hand
- Weight loss
- Fatigue and malaise
- Poor sleep
- Difficulty in moving the joints
- Muscle pains and aches
- Loss of flexibility
- Decrease in aerobic fitness
- Muscle weakness
Causes of arthritis
There is not a single cause of arthritis. It can be vary according to the type of arthritis. Here are the potential causes of arthritis-
- Inheritance such as osteoarthritis
- Injury leading to degenerative arthritis
- Infections in the body parts
- Immune system becoming weaker
- Genetic problem
- Poor diet
Exercise for arthritis
Physical exercise and activity have shown benefits to many people with arthritis by improving function, pain, and mental health. Moreover, lack of physical activity is also a reason for arthritis as well as obesity, diabetes, and other health problems. That is why, it is really important to do minimum 1-hour workout for a healthy and fit body.
Treatment for arthritis
- Joint replacement- a surgery can be done to replace your joint with a plastic or metal version. This will help to improve the function of your joints.
- Osteotomy– in this treatment, a part of your joint is removed to improve joint stability and alignment. This can help to delay the joint replacement for several years.
- Joint fusion- in this surgery, a joint is completely removed from the ends of two bones and are held together with pins, plates or screws.
- Medicines– several antibiotics can help to remove the pain in joints. However, it is dependent on the types of arthritis whether to follow this treatment or not.
- #Note: Consult a doctor in case you are unable to manage the health issues on your own.
For more information visit inguin website .