Sleep is a natural state, in which your mind is unconscious, the nervous system is not active and eyes are closed for seven to eight hours. Most of the body hormones are released at the time when we are in deep sleep. A good sleep of 7-8 hours, helps you to gain enough energy which will reflect your personality whether you are active or not.
But, the question is being asked by many is Are you getting a proper sleep in a day or not? Are you relying on sleeping pills for sleep? But, if you are suffering from a disorder like sleep apnea it is very difficult to breathe during sleep. But, before discussing we should discuss the benefits and importance of proper sleep.
Top 14 benefits of proper sleep
- It helps you to heal and repair your heart, blood vessels, and brain functionality.
- Reduce risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney disease.
- Adequate sleep reduces the risk of obesity or increases weight.
- It helps you to increase as well as improve your memory which results in good decision-making capabilities.
- Less than 5 to 6 hours of sleep results in low life expectancy than total average life span.
- The amount of C-Reactive protein in the blood stream is more for persons who sleep less than 5-6 hours, which increases the aging problem.
- The testosterone level in the human body gets lower if you sleep for less duration of time. It will not only impact your love life but sex life too.
- Getting enough sleep keeps you motivated throughout the day, you feel fresh. But, if you get less sleep you will feel tired, exhausted and frequent mood swings will occur.
- The medical studies have shown that adequate sleep increases the good amount of white blood cells which assist you in fighting with pathogens in your body. In short, the immunity level increases in your blood stream if you take a good sleep.
- The major problem that you could have seen in young ones is developing eye circles at an early age. The reason is not getting proper sleep. Hence, sleep well on time to reduce eye circle problem.
- The study shows that athletes perform better in the field if they sleep continuously for more than 8hours a day. It increases their stamina on the field.
- A good sleep helps students to increase their marks as well as grades in the exam. The students with a sleep disorder, snoring have a problem of concentrating which results in low performance on examination day.
- Fewer sleep results in high-stress level which in turn increases your blood pressure. Hence, if you sleep in the regular time period it will not only control your High BP but your stress level too. It is very common in the age group of 25 to 45 years.
- The road accidents which happens at night are due to 2 major causes: one is alcoholic drinks and deprived sleep. You should always avoid driving if you are sleepy to avoid major accidents.
Thus, in short, you must take a proper bed sleep of 7 to 8 hours daily to avoid all the above-mentioned problems and lead a healthy life.
You can watch this video by Dr. Willie Ong who is describing some tips to sleep better.
Copyright: Doc Willie Ong
#Note: Consult a doctor in case you are unable to manage the health issues on your own.