There are so many people all over the world who are suffering from so many problems. In reality, all those people have something in common that is brain (the organ of central nervous system). But, why people are suffering from these problems. Is it all about mental Illness. Today, we will explore about the myths and facts related to mental illness.
What is mental illness?
A mental illness or mental disorder is a condition that affects an individual mood, thinking and feeling. These conditions can affect the person’s ability to think and function each day. Every individual have a different experience even the people who have the same diagnosis. Recovery can be only possible when you start treatment in early stage and by being strong in the recovery process. A mental disorder is not a result of only one event, it is caused by multiple causes such as lifestyle, environment, genetics, and etc. a stressful job is the main reason of mental disorder and biochemical processes and basic brain structure may play a role too.
Signs and symptoms
- Reduced ability or confused thinking
- Feeling down or sad
- Extreme changes in mood
- Excess worries or fear
- Extreme feeling of guilt
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Suicidal thinking
- Sex drive changes
- Withdrawal from friends and other activities
- Changes in eating habit
- Detachment from reality
- Inability to cope with stress and daily problems
Facts about mental illness
- Mental illness affects few people– only a few people suffer from mental disorder. One out of 4 people experiences this condition.
- It is caused by personal weakness– a mental illness is caused by biological, genetic, environmental and social factors.
- People with a mental disorder are violent- people with mental illness are violent than the other people. People with mental disorder want to harm themselves or others.
- They should be hospitalized– the people having a mental disorder should be kept in the hospital so that they can be recovered quickly.
- If the children experience mental disorder then it may be parent’s fault- if children are experiencing mental disorder then maybe parents fault is there. This is because the main reason of mental disorder is environmental conditions.
- Positive thinking is the best way to cure it- if an individual eliminates all the negative thinking from his mind and develop positive thinking in his mind then it may help to cure all type of mental disorder.
According to a recent report, it has been found that 1 out of 5 adults experience a mental disorder every year and few of them suffers from serious mental illness such as bipolar disorder. Moreover, this also affects the family, communities, and friends of the person. The mental health problems mainly begin with the age 14 and develop by age 24. The doctor may give you the following treatment for this disorder-
- Medication– this method does not help to cure mental illness, it is only helpful in the management of symptoms.
- Psychotherapy– this treatment is given by a well-trained health professional who explores thinking, thoughts and behavior to improve an individual condition. Psychotherapy with medication is the best way to cure mental illness quickly.
- Hospitalization– in some conditions, hospitalization is given when an individual condition becomes worst. It helps to closely monitor and to provide suitable treatment for it.
There is a small video by Thomas Insel organized by TEDx. It will help you to explain all about mental illness diseases.
This video is copyright of TEDx Community.
- #Note: Consult a doctor in case you are unable to manage the health issues on your own.
For more information visit inguin website .