Many people are suffering from sleep apnea which is commonly known as snoring. Snoring means grunting or loud sound when a person is in sleep. So, before your loved one’s figure out that you have a snoring problem and kick you out of the room. Let’s gain some knowledge about Snoring Causes, Symptoms, Prevention, Treatment And it’s Side Effects
What is snoring?
Snoring normally happens when an individual is not able to take air through throat and mouth during sleep. This makes the vibration of tissue which produces a very irritating sound. People who snore have too much nasal and throat tissue. The wrong position of the tongue that affects the smooth breathing can also be a reason behind snoring. If you want to stop snoring then it is necessary to identify the cause behind it. The good news is that whatever the cause behind your snoring, it can be treated with different solutions.
Causes of snoring
Snoring is mainly caused due to the narrowing of the upper airway during the sleep. This can be because of a small palate, large tonsils or a long uvula. In some cases, deformities of cartilage between two sides of the nose can contribute to the narrowing of the airway. The most common cause of snoring is found to be the too much relax of tongue muscle during sleep. When the tongue is sucked back during each breath taken, it produces a vibration that creates a snoring sound. Here are all the causes of snoring-
- Lying face up during sleeping
- Body overweight
- Tongue relaxation too much during sleep
- Long soft palate, large tonsils or uvula
- Consuming medication, alcohol or tobacco within 6hours of going to sleep
- Nasal Congestion from colds and allergies
Symptoms of snoring
Snoring is also associated with a sleep disorder called obstructive sleep apnea. It is not necessary that all snorers have OSA but if it is accompanied by any of the following symptoms then it may be an indication to see a doctor.
- Difficulty in concentration
- Noise during sleep
- Restless sleep
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Gasping at night
- Chest pain
- Loud snoring
- High blood pressure
- Morning headaches
How to prevent snoring?
There are so many ways you can try to stop snoring. There are many devices available in the market which promises to help you but they might not provide you effective results. You can try the following techniques to prevent snoring but not every technique is right for every person. It requires some lifestyle changes to experiment with different solutions.
- Exercise– exercise is an effective way to prevent snoring. Exercise helps to tone the muscles in your throat. There are also so many specific exercises that target the muscles in the throat.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking and tobacco products– these all products interfere with breathing so it is necessary for you to avoid them. This technique can also help you to prevent snoring.
- Changing position– elevating head 3-4 inches may encourage tongue to move forward and ease breathing. It is necessary to make sure that your neck muscles are not crimped.
- Keep room air moist– dry air irritates your throat and swollen the nasal tissues which can be a reason of snoring. So, it is important to keep your room air moist.
Treatment and side effects
If you are tired of using home remedies to prevent snoring then you must go with the proper medical treatment. Consult your doctor and He/she may recommend the following procedure such as-
- Palatal implants– this involves inserting plastic implants into small palate to prevent snoring.
- Traditional surgery– this type of surgeries aims to increase the size of your airway by a surgery.
- Somnoplasty– it helps to remove the tissues that vibrate during snoring.
- Laser-assisted uvulopalatoplasty- it uses a laser to make small cuts on either side of the small
There may be some effects of surgery to prevent snoring. They may harm your health seriously and make it difficult for you to breathe normally. So, it is important for you to choose a right treatment and discuss all things related to the treatment with your doctor.
- #Note: Consult a doctor in case you are unable to manage the health issues on your own.
For more information visit inguin website .