Have you seen someone getting unconscious and falls suddenly on the ground? It is common in India as well as abroad as it is a most common disease. Epilepsy is also known as a seizure disorder. It is caused due to abnormal activity in the brain cells. The neurological disturbance a brain can cause a sensory disturbance which results in loss of quality of awareness and perception of something. More than one million cases get registered in India of epilepsy.
How Epilepsy Occurs and what are seizures?
The brain is the most complicated part of the human body. It is the part of the central nervous system which controls the whole body. Epilepsy occurs as a result of overactivity in brain cells known as Seizures. These are divided into 2 types of categories.
- Generalised Seizure also ‘s hard as local: Electrical impulse from the whole part of the brain.
- Partial Seizure also knew as focal: Electrical Impulse from some part of the brain.
These categories help doctors to treat patient with epilepsy. As they are able to judge a person with epilepsy or not.
There are different types of seizures with symptoms which are described below:
- Myoclonic: Occasion jerks on both the sides of the body.
- Clonic: repetitive jerks
- Tonic: tightening of muscles
- Atonic: Loss of muscle tension which results in fall.
- Absence: Loss of responsiveness, alertness, awareness.
- Generalised tonic-clonic: convulsion and muscle tightening.
What Causes Epilepsy?
There are many causes of epilepsy but to identify it is difficult. Some of the reasons that cause seizures and lead to epilepsy are:
- Head Injuries: The head injuries due to accidents during childhood cause seizure.
- Stroke and Brain Tumours
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Genetic Condition / Genetic disorder
- Lack of oxygen supply during birth
- AIDS and meningitis
Symptoms of Epilepsy
There are many symptoms of it which are caused by seizures. But, as discussed, whether a person is suffering from epilepsy or not is a trivial task. But, in few cases a person is having repeated seizures at that we would be most likely to determine the cause of it.
The few symptoms of epilepsy are mentioned below.
- Memory loss / Confused memory/ Blackout
- Fatigue/ Fainting
- Muscle Contraction / Stiffening of muscles/ Loss of muscle control
- Headache/sleep disorder
- Temporary Paralysis
- Loss of awareness
- Shaking of body
- Tongue Biting
- Twitching of parts of body
- Person falls on floor with no reason
- Not able to communicate for the time being / dazed
- Rapid jerking movements
Treatment and diagnosis of epilepsy
The treatment and diagnosis of epilepsy are possible with proper medication and antiepileptic drugs also known as antiseizure drugs. But, the type of medication and the type drugs is determined by the frequency and condition as well as symptoms of a seizure. The medical history of the person is taken into account with an overall medical record including genetic disorders. MRI Scanner is used to detect detailed images of inside the body.
Epilepsy Surgery: After your overall medical record is analysed and doctors found out that continuous seizures occur in a well-defined area of a brain at that time surgery epileptic surgery is suggested to the person.
Therapy Treatment: Some therapy sessions with psychologist is given to a person to change it thinking power.
Thus, epilepsy is curable with proper medication.
- #Note: Consult a doctor in case you are unable to manage the health issues on your own.
For more information visit inguin website.